Slater Fire extinguishes attic flames
The Slater Fire Department was able to put out an attic fire with minimal damage Tuesday morning, Dec. 29, after a city employee noticed smoke coming from the roof while on his snow plow route.
Fire Chief Todd Jenkins said the department arrived at the scene, on South Jefferson Street, to find smoke coming from the eaves of the home. He said the fire appeared to be electrical in nature.
Because the fire was contained to the attic, the department vented the roof and after evacuating the home, pulled down a portion of the ceiling to extinguish the flames.
"The guys did a great job," Jenkins said. "It's something we trained for regularly."
While there was some damage to the roof and ceiling, Jenkins said the department was able to save all of the family's belongings.