End Rows for Nov. 30, 2010

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Sign-up for crop assistance program ends December 9

The Crop Assistance Program (CAP) provides assistance to rice, cotton, soybean and sweet potato producers that suffered losses because of excessive moisture in 2009.

Only those counties with a 2009 Secretarial Disaster designation are eligible.

In our area, Carroll County is the only county eligible for the program.

To receive benefits, producers must have suffered a 5% or greater loss.

Producers that had at least a 5 percent loss on soybeans physically located in Carroll County should contact their administrative FSA office to apply.

The deadline to sign-up for this program is December 9.

Return your county committee ballot

County Committee election ballots must be marked, signed and returned or postmarked by December 6.

Producers and landowners in the townships of Elmwood, Salt Pond, Liberty and Blackwater are eligible to vote.

If you did not receive a ballot in the mail, and believe that you should have, please contact the office prior to December 6.

Update the FSA office on changes to your operation

Sign-up for 2011 is now underway. The deadline to enroll in the 2011 DCP and ACRE programs is June 1, 2011.

This time of year is the perfect time to update any needed changes to your information at the FSA office.

Changes might include:

--Buying or selling land

--Renting different land than last year

--New bank account or routing number

--Creation of an entity or trust

--Deeding land to a trust or entity

--Changes in members of a trust or entity

--New mailing address

It's very important to keep the FSA office updated on any changes in your operation.

For example if your banking information has changed, and we have not been notified, your payments can be delayed for a month or longer.

If you have purchased or sold land, or changed tenants, eligibility for FSA programs can be impacted.

For example, if land with a Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) contract is sold, it's especially important to notify the office.

--We need to know how to split the current year's payment

--Also, if the new owner does not succeed to the contract within 60 days, the previous owner is required to refund all CRP payments for the life of that contract.

Keeping your FSA office up-to-date on changes can prevent issues in the future.