Slater firefighters battle structure fire

Friday, January 6, 2017

A house fire at 856 Jenkins Street in Slater Wednesday, Jan. 4, didn't consume the entire structure; but the damage it caused has reportedly made it uninhabitable.

According to information Slater Volunteer Fire Chief Todd Jenkins provided to KMMO, the house is currently uninhabitable "due to the electrical burning, the electric wires, and of course the smoke damage and the water damage was pretty extensive throughout the whole house."

The department was assisted by firefighters from Arrow Rock as well as the Marshall Fire Department, which was called at approximately 4 p.m.

"Upon arrival, there was a heavy smoke coming from the structure and flames showing," Jenkins said.

Phone calls from The Marshall Democrat-News were not able to be returned by press time. Firefighters were reportedly on scene for roughly two hours. No injuries were reported as a result of the blaze.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: