[Masthead] Partly Cloudy ~ 52°F  
High: 68°F ~ Low: 56°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Banks Moving and Storage roof collapsed due to snow

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

From left, firefighters Nick Pointer and Raymond Coslet talk with Mike Banks, owner of Banks Moving and Storage Company, about the damage to the roof caused by the snow storm earlier that day on Tuesday, Feb. 26.
(Kelsey Alumbaugh/Democrat-News)
Shortly before 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Feb. 26 firefighters Raymond Coslet and Nick Pointer were dispatched to investigate a potential gas leak due to a collapsed roof at Banks Moving and Storage.

Coslet said the department had been getting calls of a potential gas leak, but was later notified it was because the roof had collapsed.

Coslet and Pointer met the owner, Mike Banks, at the building to investigate the damage.

The Banks Moving and Storage Company roof collapsed in the middle, according to firefighter Raymond Coslet, and the outside walls were all still in tact after being damaged by the snow storm on Tuesday, Feb. 26.
(Kelsey Alumbaugh/Democrat-News)
Banks said they didn't open on Tuesday due to the snow and a resident near Banks Moving and Storage had called him about the collapsed roof.

"It collapsed right in the middle," Coslet said. "It was like the center of it just fell right in. The outside walls were still in tact even though they had the deformity in them."

Banks said it was a good place for the damage to happen if it had to happen anywhere because it didn't effect any of the customers things.

"It was just the shop area back in the back, which is a good place because it's not really effecting anything we are doing here," he said. "The gas line was upfront here. We shut it off up front. Of course, there's a hole in the roof so there was plenty ventilation. That was never a problem. The roof gave in from the snow and it's got to be replaced."

Coslet said the gas leak was coming from a line that went into a heater in the back part of the building.

"Basically, what we did was we isolated it at the meter for the rest of the building except the offices and turned the gas back on to the offices," Coslet said about restoring gas and electricity to the office area. "We lucked out. The electrical was turned off and we were able to isolate that part of the building also through pulling an electric meter and were able to turn the power back on to most of the rest of the building."

Banks said it's still early and he is making calls to the insurance company about fixing the damage.

"It was really not as bad as it could have been I guess," he explained. "It didn't effect anything we're doing here. We're at 100 percent operation here."

Coslet said that while Banks Moving and Storage does have gas and power, it would have been left off had there not been a way to isolate it.

Contact Kelsey Alumbaugh at kalumbaugh@marshallnews.com

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: