End Rows for Oct 18

Monday, October 17, 2011

TTPP sign-up deadline for 2012


Tobacco quota holders and producers not currently enrolled in the Tobacco Transition Payment Program (TTPP) have until close of business on Nov. 1, 2011, to sign up in order to receive a 2012 TTPP payment.

The TTPP, also known as the "tobacco buy-out," provides payments to eligible tobacco quota holders and producers from 2005-2014.

This 'buyout' was originally available in 2004, and we believe all eligible tobacco quota holders and producers in Saline County enrolled at that time.

But in case someone didn't:

--Enrollment for TTPP must be completed at the Farm Service Agency (FSA) county office where the contract holder's or producer's farm records are maintained.

TTPP contract holders also are reminded that they have until Nov. 1, 2011, to sell their remaining annual payments to a successor in order to receive a lump-sum payment.

--Certain requirements must be met to qualify for lump-sum payments.

--More information on lump-sum payments is available online at http://www.fsa.usda.gov/tobacco or by calling the national FSA office at 202-720-7901.

Existing contract holders should remember they may transfer their contract to a family member.

--This means a parent, grandparent or other direct lineal ancestor; child or other direct lineal descendent; spouse; or sibling.

If the contract holder is deceased, the contract can be transferred to the surviving spouse. If there is no surviving spouse, the TTPP contract can be transferred to the estate by any person allowed under state law to distribute the assets of the deceased.

--These transfers must be completed by December 31, 2011.

--Please contact the local FSA office as soon as possible if there is a death of a family member who has a contract.

The TTPP contract can also be transferred to a party who had purchased a tobacco marketing quota before October 22, 2004 and had placed the quota on the contract holder's farm with their consent before October 22, 2004.

Contact your county office for details and to submit the request for transfer (CCC-971) by November 1, 2011 for it to take effect for the next payment scheduled in January 2012.

Payments are out!

In Saline County, as well as most other counties, October payments have been issued.

This includes Direct and Counter-cyclical (DCP) direct payments, Average Crop Revenue Election (ACRE) direct payments, and Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) annual rental payments.

If you haven't received a payment and believe you should have:

--Software issues can sometimes cause delays

If this is the case with your payment, your FSA office is working to resolve the issue and get the payment disbursed.

--An eligibility issue may exist

Your crop report may not have been filed

Adjusted Gross Income certifications, or other eligibility documents may be missing

Another person on the farm may not have signed the contract timely

If you believe you should have received a payment from the DCP, ACRE or CRP programs and haven't by the end of October, you may want to call your FSA office to find out why.