Intruder wakes Marshall family early Thursday

Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Marshall resident got a rude awakening Thursday morning, April 2, when she heard a beating on her home's front door at about 4 a.m.

Walking to the stairs to check on the situation, she saw a young man outside her front door, pounding on it so hard it was shaking.

She told her husband, who went downstairs. She followed and glimpsed the young man through her kitchen window as he walked along the side of her house.

Her husband went outside, and shortly thereafter she heard scuffling and screaming. It was then that she started to look for her phone. Unable to find her landline telephone, she used her cell phone to call police, using 660-886-7411, the non-emergency number, instead of dialing 911.

Somehow, she said, the young man made it through the a door before her husband did, and he succeeded in locking her husband outside of their home.

"So, it's me and my little girl in the house with this guy we don't know," she said.

Still on the phone with police, she woke her daughter and told her to be quiet, shutting her daughter's bedroom door behind her. Under the bedroom door, she saw lights flickering on and off as the young man flipped light switches.

"And then, I hear this big 'boom,' and the house shakes," she said, when police officers kicked in her front door. Hearing them identify themselves and run up her stairs, she reported to the dispatcher, to whom she was still speaking, that the police had arrived.

"The next thing I see is the door fling open, and all I see is faces, guns and flashlights."

She told officers the man was not in the room with her. The officers then moved on to the next room, which was across the hall from her daughter's bedroom.

"That's where they found him hiding behind the door. And I hear them yell, 'Marshall Police! Put your hands where we can see them! Get down! I will shoot!' and I thought, 'Oh, my God!'

"... To me, the guy was there to hurt us or steal something. I don't know. I didn't know what he was doing, I didn't know why he was in our house, it's four o'clock in the morning, my husband's not in the house. I don't know if he's outside, if he's hurt, if he's stabbed, I don't know. So then my husband came into the room, so I felt better, and the next thing I know is they got the kid in handcuffs and they're taking him out of the house."

The 24-year-old male used to live in the house, she said.

"It didn't take very long" for officers to arrive once she called, she said. "It was, like, 15 minutes. To me, it felt like an eternity, because I was scared to death. My little girl was scared to death."

[Editor's note: The time elapsed from the moment the officer received the call to arrival on scene was less than one minute, according to police.]

Police officers made sure each family member was safe, and then the paperwork began. The limited early-morning light made it difficult to finish all necessary paperwork then, but they came back at about 7 a.m. to take photos and finish up. At that time, they found the young man's cell phone, shoes, socks and belt.

"I'm not real sure what he was doing," the woman said.

She concluded, "The Marshall Police Department was absolutely wonderful. They were professional and wonderful, and I appreciate what they did.

"Even though, at the end, the kid wasn't there to hurt us, he just was confused, I didn't know that, and they took care of us very, very well."

The woman and her husband were acquainted with the young man's mother and declined to press charges. The young man is currently in the process of being released, said Assistant Police Chief David Rocher.

Contact Geoff Rands at

View 19 comments
Note: The nature of the Internet makes it impractical for our staff to review every comment. Please note that those who post comments on this website may do so using a screen name, which may or may not reflect a website user's actual name. Readers should be careful not to assign comments to real people who may have names similar to screen names. Refrain from obscenity in your comments, and to keep discussions civil, don't say anything in a way your grandmother would be ashamed to read.
  • This reads more like a short story than a news story.

    -- Posted by hunterfisher on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 1:26 PM
    Response by Eric Crump/Editor:
    Nice change of pace, eh?
  • It makes me angry that there are not charges pressed here. This individual will just go find another home and another family to do this to. Is there not a way that the police can press charges here, like in a domestic violence case? Good job Marshall PD, and thank God noone was hurt, but to just let the person walk away without any punishment....WRONG WRONG WRONG!

    -- Posted by Curiousintown on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 1:56 PM
  • I think it could be written in a more professional manner. I thought it was a joke at first. (belated april fools?)

    -- Posted by Karinanna on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 3:21 PM
  • He should be put under arrest and then let an out of county jury find him not guilty even though he was.

    -- Posted by yank on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 4:31 PM
  • Press charges?!?!?! Not everything has to be taken care of in court. In this case since there was no one hurt, I agree with the owner of the house, that pressing charges is not what needs to be done. However I will go on to say that he needs to make and pay for any and all repairs. Having to come back over there and face me after what he did would be punishment enough.

    -- Posted by Mrs JJ Gates on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 5:16 PM
  • 15 minutes isn't very long? In a town the size of Marshall? Oh, puh-leeeze!

    -- Posted by Bad Egg on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 5:46 PM
  • The Prosecuting Attorney could pick this home invasion/burglary up and run with it. But without the help of the victims, it makes it very difficult. I just can't understand the victims. At least get this guy into court and at the least get him on probation so he will have to follow some rules and be forced into treatment if that's the case?

    You don't get attacked, beat on, your door kicked in, family tormented, risk lives, call police and risk their life, then do nothing because you know the suspects mother. You are not doing him any good by doing this. He needs to be held accountable for his actions, if nothing else for his own safety. He might get shot to death if he does this to someone else??

    -- Posted by muddywater on Thu, Apr 2, 2009, at 10:29 PM
  • Amen Muddywater

    And what is to say that he won't do it again? Was the man strung out on drugs, why would he do this? If ya did it once you have either done it before and just not got caught or you will do it again! 3/4 of the people in this town know each other and their children so that just makes no sense that you wouldn't press charges!

    -- Posted by Curiousintown on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 7:52 AM
  • you guys need to calm down what would you do in a situation where your friends son was beating on your door wanting in. you dont know. she was scared and she did the best she could obviously she realized later that the man wasnt there to hurt her was just confused. and if you think 15 minutes is forever for police to arrive then you havent lived in marshall very long.

    -- Posted by -anyways- on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 8:32 AM
  • Confused kid or not I would have pressed charges even if I knew his entire family!!!!. He was obviously there for a reason. Otherwise he would have explained himself.

    -- Posted by lilbaby on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 9:11 AM
  • Point of clarification: The actual response time according to Marshall police records was less than a minute. Officers received the call at 4:07:27 a.m. and were on the scene at 4:08 a.m. I'm sorry we didn't get the response time in the story faster.

    -- Posted by Eric Crump on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 9:15 AM
  • Another development: I heard a while ago from the woman who reported the incident that the man who entered her home met with her husband to apologize, gave her a rose and brought a balloon for her daughter -- an attempt to make amends.

    -- Posted by Eric Crump on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 12:10 PM
  • Just to clear up a few things on this matter. This family is living in this man's house (his mother still owns the house, has her belongings there AND they don't even have a lease signed!)so technically they couldn't press charges against him! Anyone that knows him, knows that he would never hurt a fly and obviously he is distruaght about this whole incident.

    And to lilbaby- what do you think he was there for?? To rob his own house?? I don't think so.

    -- Posted by june2007 on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 2:02 PM
  • june2007

    I don't know who you are or who you think you are, but you did not clear up anything. You have no idea what happend or what has went on. I know the family that this happened to they are very nice and do not live in his house with his his mother's belongings. So please know what you are talking about befor you "Just clear things up".

    People are mad because they did not press charges, then they say they could not press chargess. Wow people have nothing good to do with good with their time

    -- Posted by CARLFAN on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 6:23 PM
  • Is the young man mentally challenged? Was the young man under the influence of drugs or alcohol? Was he possibly on one of the prescription drugs which has had the unfortunate side effect of causing sleep walking and even driving in some cases?

    It would be helpful if a followup story could sort out the confusion.

    Once, my husband rolled up in the late afternoon with two small children, groceries and dry cleaning. He had the screen door open, urging both little ones to enter when he looked at the furniture and realized he had pulled into the driveway of a house two doors down from ours. It was still daylight,but suburban homes do look alike!

    -- Posted by upsedaisy on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 9:00 PM
  • One time a few years back I came out of the grocery store to find a woman sitting in my car. She was quite embarrassed to realize that her car, which was almost identical to mine, was parked right next to mine and she had got in the wrong one. No harm, no foul. However, I was never afraid and didn't have call the police.

    -- Posted by Reader101 on Fri, Apr 3, 2009, at 10:19 PM
  • He did it once, he'll do it again,and next time the home owner will have a gun and justice would be served. Protect yourself and your love ones. Let's us not forget the Shepard Family.

    -- Posted by POWERStobe on Mon, Apr 6, 2009, at 4:08 PM
  • It's not his house, it's his parents...big difference. He was drunk and fought with the man prior to locking himself in the house with his wife and kids. Police had to kick the door in and fight the suspect to the floor.......yep, sounds like an innocent mistake to me.

    -- Posted by sgates79 on Mon, Apr 6, 2009, at 7:18 PM
  • To one of my best friends.. The man who did this.... Your welcome in my home ANYTIME!!

    -- Posted by local-A-rod on Thu, Apr 9, 2009, at 12:13 PM
Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: