Marshall family seeks help after fire

Tuesday, April 29, 2008
The exterior doesn't show much evidence of it, but the debris in the driveway shows the destruction caused by a fire April 19 at the home of Paula Glor. (Eric Crump/Democrat-News)

A Marshall family of four was left homeless Saturday, Aprill 19, after a fire gutted their home on Clara Street.

The Marshall Fire Department received a call at 3:21 p.m. regarding a structure fire at 738 W. Clara St.

Fire Chief John Rieves said the fire stared in the basement laundry room. Paula Glor's daughter, Lindsey, discovered the fire coming from an operating dryer.

Fire officials estimated the loss was $30,000 to the structure valued at $85,000 and $25,000 to contents valued at $45,000.

The last truck reported back to the station at 4:33 p.m.

Kay Bradshaw, friend of Glor's, said the house was essentially "gutted."

Since the build-back time would be at least six months, Glor has rented at house on West Ohio Avenue.

Glor lives with her daughter and two granddaughters, 3 years old and 5 years old.

Glor said the family would welcome help from the community. She could use towels, washcloths, dishtowels, and bedding for twin-, full- and king-size beds.

She said she is doing fine on kitchen items such as dishes because "several people have donated those items."

For more information, contact Glor at 660-886-9161.

Writer's note: Additional needed items will be added to this version when available.

Contact Rachel Harper at marshallcity@socket.net

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: