[Masthead] Fair ~ 52°F  
High: 66°F ~ Low: 50°F
Friday, Apr. 29, 2016

Building the Vision: N-B groundbreaking planned for April 12

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

We are, indeed, making a plea for a last amount of help with funding so that we can complete this Vision that has been seven years in the making. Yes, although we have been pressing for monetary help for the last year, it has been several years since the first seeds of the Vision were sewn. It all began with the acquisition of a run-down NB-3, made possible by the rapid fund-raising effort to amass $60,000.

One part of the vision led to another, and eventually came the idea of combining the museum aspect with a civic center. Both were deemed valuable to the citizens of Marshall and the surrounding areas ... one, to preserve precious history; the other to create a place for people to meet for both business and pleasure. Each aspect of the Vision is sure to bring commerce to the town.

The Groundbreaking is scheduled for April 12. Needless to say, the conditions of the soil and weather will play a large part, but the target date has been set. Another $200,000 to $300,000 will "seal the deal," so to speak. That doesn't seem like so much, in the overall picture. When will the project be complete? We're shooting for late fall.

If you haven't helped yet, now is the time to pitch in. If you have contributed and can see your way to giving more ... it will be gratefully accepted. Picture a beautiful building at the Marshall Airport sight that will house an interactive museum and a civic center that can accommodate at least 500 people ... either in one large group of several smaller ones. Listen, and you can almost hear the laughter of families enjoying their reunions, the questions being asked during a business seminar, or the best man's toast to the bride and groom. Perhaps you can hear school children interacting with an aviation exhibit or the "oohs" and "aahs" of patrons seeing the early planes for the first time.

Call Campaign Headquarters at (660) 886-2630 for information on how you can help Build the Vision.

Well, last week we ended with Mr. Nicholas embarking on a new venture ... raising rabbits. This week, we will start with the acquisition by Nicholas-Beazley of a prestigious engineer who came from "across the pond."

* * *

Democrat News ... October 31, 1929

"Nicholas-Beazley Secures Another English Engineer

T.A. Kirkup, London, Arrives to Take up Duties

... Wide Experience in Aviation"

T.A. Kirkup, of London, England, has arrived in Marshall to become chief engineer of the Nicholas/Beazley Airplane Company, Inc., of this city. Mr. And Mrs. Kirkup landed in New York a week ago, but stayed a few days in that metropolis before coming on to Marshall to assume his duties.

Mr. Kirkup is the second English engineer to become affiliated with Nicholas-Beazley. The other was Walter H. Barling, who designed the Barling NB-3 monoplane, now under production at the local plant.

Mr. Kirkup, although a young man, has had much experience in the aviation industry, spending the past ten years with some of the larger English plane builders. He worked for some time on the R-101, largest lighter-than-air craft in the world, which recently made its test flight over London.

Mr. Kirkup was educated privately by his father, Dr. Kirkup, who obtained degrees in Edinburgh, Berlin, Gottingen, and Paris Universities. Dr. Kirkup was a widely-known educator, having written a number of books on social and educational subjects, some of which have had considerable sale in America.

After Dr. Kirkup's death, the son obtained valuable grounding at the Padding Technical Institute, London, in general engineering practice and had just finished the course when the World War began. He tried to get into the flying corps, but was rejected on account of being but 16 years old. However, a short time later he got into the infantry by giving an assumed age of 19. He went overseas in 1915 and was just 17 when he took part in the original landing on Gallipoli.

He served through that campaign and afterward in Egypt, Salonica and France. In 1917 he was given a commission in the artillery and in 1918 was awarded the Military Cross and mentioned in dispatches.

* * *

Not long after Mr. Kirkup was brought to the Nicholas/Beazley Company, his remarks about wooden aircraft were recorded in the Democrat News on November 14, 1929.

"End to Wooden Aircraft Seen

In Simplicity of Design America Has

England Bested, Says T. A. Kirkup"

That wooden construction in aircraft will be extinct within the next two years is the belief of T. A. Kirkup, formerly Chief of the Experimental Stress Department of the Wicker's Aviation, LTD. of England who has recently arrived in Marshall, Mo. to take up the position of Chief Engineer of the Nicholas/Beazley Airplane Co., Inc. here.

Mr. Kirkup, who has engaged in the design and construction of aircraft for the past ten years, has been identified with some of the most important developments in metal construction recently achieved in England.

"Generally speaking," said Mr. Kirkup in commenting on the development of metal construction in England compared with that in America, "the metal construction of airplanes has reached a higher state of development in England than in America. Though for simplicity, especially in fuselage construction, America is ahead of English practice. This is due to the distinct prejudice against welded construction on the part of the government who are the chief buyers of planes."

"In wing construction, however, England leads since practically nothing but metal is used. It is only in light planes that wooden wings are employed and in this class wood is being rapidly superceded."

Having entered the aircraft industry shortly after the war, Mr. Kirkup spent considerable time in the Aerodynamics Department of the National Physical Laboratory, Teddington in London where he was co-author of several reports on wind channel research. He later joined the staff of Boulton and Pauls, Ltd., Norwich, as Technical Assistant to the Chief Engineer. During his association there, he spent much of his time on the new British Dirigible R101, the main structure of which was built by Boulton and Pauls.

Since that time Mr. Kirkup was employed by Vickers and was responsible for the development of steel strip construction of spars and wing components which are in the experimental stage at the present time.

* * *

Check this out.....

Democrat News, Nov. 14, 1929

"Found deaths of aviators accidental

There Was No Reason to Believe Otherwise,

Dr. Bradshaw Found ... All From Kansas City"

Accidental death was the decision of Dr. B.C. Bradshaw, Saline County coroner, after his investigation into the airplane crash three miles south of Marshall Monday, in which three men lost their lives. Dr. Bradshaw did not deem it necessary to impanel a jury after his investigation.

The men killed were Jack Arnold, 28, a transport pilot, 923 North Dodge Street, Iowa City, Iowa; E. H. Ellis, about 28, 746 Cleveland, Kansas City; and R.T. McGhee, a pilot, Emery Hotel, 2017 Linwood, Kansas City. Arnold is survived by his mother, Ellis is survived by two children, and McGhee is survived by his wife.

Coroner Bradshaw found that the three men were on their way to the Marshall Airport, near where the crash occurred. McGhee was piloting the plane and had circled the airport and was turning "into the wind," which was from the east, about 150 feet high when the machine went into the ground. No one on the ground saw the craft after it started its fatal turn because of a slight rise I the terrain.

E.B. Gumm, pilot for the Heart of America Flying Club of Kansas City, was trailing the men in another plane, but was about two thousand feet high when he saw what he believed was a forced landing. Ellis was president of the flying club and Gumm, Arnold and he were to have taken a new plane purchased locally back to Kansas City in the afternoon.

Arnold was a transport pilot and Ellis was a flying student.

Following a cursory examination after the accident, local airplane officials said they believed either Ellis or Arnold, who were in the front cockpit, may have unintentionally jammed the controls, which were dual, in such a manner as to nullify McGhee's efforts to right the craft. A department of commerce representative came from Kansas City Monday afternoon to inspect the wreckage.

Ellis and Arnold were killed almost instantly. McGhee lived about two hours. The bodies of the Kansas Citians were taken to that place Monday afternoon.

Mrs. Gerlach is en route to Marshall and will probably take her son's body back to Iowa. He had been employed recently in Kansas City.

Building the Vision appears Wednesday.

Building the Vision