Harvey Schelp, 90, of Sweet Springs, died Wednesday, Aug. 23, 2006, at Fitzgibbon Hospital in Marshall.
Funeral services will be held at 2:30 p.m., Saturday, Aug. 26. 2006, at Immanuel Lutheran Church in Sweet Springs. Rev. Alfred Rodewald will officiate. Burial will be in Fairview Cemetery. Visitation will be held one hour prior to the service at the church. Memorials may be made to Immanuel Lutheran Church or The Lutheran Hour in care of Campbell-Lewis Funeral Home.
Born Jan. 26, 1916, in Emma, he was the son of the late Theodore Schelp and Emilie Brockman Schelp. On Jan. 22, 1937, at Holy Cross Lutheran Church in Emma, he married Edna Pearl Oerding who survives of the home. He had lived in the Sweet Springs, Blackburn and Emma area most of his life where he attended Holy Cross Lutheran School and was a graduate of Sweet Springs High School, he then attended Central Business College in Sedalia. He began his career in the banking business in 1937, working in Concordia, Higginsville, and then at the Blackburn Bank. While in Blackburn he was active in many community activities and being a U.S. Army veteran of World War II, he was extremely instrumental in the start of the American Legion Post 478 in Blackburn, where he was a charter member. He was employed at Chemical Bank of Sweet Springs from April 1, 1958 until his retirement as vice president of the bank on March 31, 1983. He continued serving on the board of directors for Chemical Bank until 1990. He was a voting member of Immanuel Lutheran Church, where he had served in numerous capacities within the church.
Additional survivors include one son, Douglas Schelp of Irving, Texas; six grandchildren; five great-grandchildren; along with several nieces and nephews.
In addition to his parents, he was preceded in death by one son, Neal Schelp; two sisters, Alice Brandt and Eleonora Lovercamp.