Bidding was strong for several of the cattle paraded through the show ring, but especially so on the steer shown on behalf of Houston Mull, a Malta Bend teen who died from injuries suffered in a crash July 1 in rural Saline County. The family of Robin, Brenda, Brad and Houston Mull had been honored at the 2003 Missouri State Fair as the county's designated farm family.
Farm families are designated based on participation by the children in FFA and 4-H activities, and both Houston and Brad had projects shown at last year's state fair. Houston was a member of Work to Win 4-H club and Junior FFA at Malta Bend.
The steer shown for Houston Mull sold for $9,500 -- with a lengthly list of donors contributing to the total. The money raised through the steer sale, and other donations including $900 received the evening of the sale, will be used to fund an FFA scholarship. Donations for the scholarship in Mull's memory are still being accepted and should be sent to Robin and Brenda Mull, Rt. 1, Box 142, Malta Bend, MO 65339.
In total, this year's steer sale brought in more premium and gross sales money for youth showing cattle -- $23,246.84.
The highest price paid on the evening was $3,000 for a steer shown by Ashley Jackson, who was invited to make a few comments during her last year of taking part in the sale.
The second-highest winning bid was a $1,250 premium for a steer shown by Justin Schroeder and the Saline County Fair grand champion steer of Paul Dehn brought in $1,100 -- also shown as a premium-only steer.
Steers sold on a "premium only" basis stay with the youth showman and the high bidder pays the amount to the youth. For "market" steers, the buyer has the option of passing the animal along to a livestock buyer at the sale or to a packing plant for processing. An established per-pound price is paid to the youth showing the steer.
Other award-winning steers at this year's sale included the county fair reserve champion, shown by Amy Durham and sold for $700 as a market animal, and Shea Conner's steer, which had the high rate of gain and sold for $550.
Following is a listing of the steer sale participants with the buyers and amount each animal sold for. Those contributing to the Houston Mull scholarship fund are listed separately. Jim Igo and John Rector coordinated the scholarship effort.
All contributors to the premium paid for the Houston Mull steer will be listed in an article in the Tuesday, Aug. 31, Marshall Democrat-News.
* Paul Dehn; grand champion; premium; KMMO, John Rector Motors, Central Missouri AgriService, Jamie Ulbrich, M.D., Seigfreid Countryside Market, Kelly's Dental Lab, Barton Law Firm, Kingsville Livestock - Rick and Jeremy Anstine, Sho-Me Trucking and Tim Simmons; $1,100;
* Amy Durham; reserve champion; market; McGraw Livestock; $700;
* Shea Conner; high rate of gain; market; Marshall Welding; $550;
* Bailey Conner; market; Central Missouri AgriSer-vice; $575;
* Jon Moenkhoff; market; LaCrosse Lumber; $400;
* Robbie Gorrell; market; Brian Miles; $700;
* Jonathon Durham; market; Deems Farm Equip-ment; $650;
* Drew Hoffman; premium; Pilot Grove Co-Op, Cable-Dahmer Chevrolet, W&M Welding, Gardner-Denver, Embree Electric, Farm Bureau Insurance-Terry Jenkins, Fitzgibbon Hospital, Paul's Plumbing, Klingner Club Calves, Miles Farms, Otterville Mini Mart, Sedalia Electric Motors, Behm Show Cattle, Scott Implement, $2,225;
* Nathaniel Moenkhoff; market; McGraw Livestock; $450;
* Breinne Clemens; premium; Riley Show Steers; $700;
* Jeff Sims; premium; Environmental Ag and others; $900;
* Tyler Clemens; premium; Central Missouri AgriService; $650;
* Jordan Snapp; market; State Bank of Slater; $400;
* Bill Gorrell; market; Environmental Ag; $975;
* Brad Mull; market; Deems Farm Equipment; $550;
* Britney Harris; market; Central Missouri AgriSer-vice; $550;
* Justin Durham; market; Central Missouri AgriService; $625;
* Ashley Jackson; market; McGraw Livestock, Farm Credit Services - Matt Staley, Pilot Grove Co-Op, Salt Fork Angus - David, Angela and Cole Igo, $3,000;
* Jodie Harris; market; State Bank of Slater; $425;
* Chris Peuster; premium; Pilot Grove Co-Op; $500;
* Matt Harris; market; Elmer Hare Ford Sales; $500;
* Justin Schroeder; premium; Marshall Welding, Monsanto, Servpro, Farm Credit Service-Matt Staley, Pilot Grove Co-Op; $1,250;
* Shawn Harris; market; State Bank of Slater; $525;
* Kent Roscher; market; Environmental Ag; $525;
* Zach King; market; Pilot Grove Co-Op; $450.
Contact Mark Lile at