May building permits down slightly in city
Construction activity in Marshall during the month of May declined slightly from previous months.
Information released by City Code Official Mike Morgan showed a total of 34 construction, electrical and plumbing permits were issued for projects with a total value of $669,937. April saw permits issued to projects valued at just over $701,000 and March's projects were valued at $784,320.
Of the 34 May permits, nine were issued for building projects with a combined value of $559,355. The largest single project was a $150,000 addition to a business owned by Jeff Smith and Art Jacobi at 779 S. Odell Suite 3.
For the second consecutive month, Midwestern Residential Development, the firm developing the Claiborne Fox Subdivision on South U.S. Highway 65, recieved permits for three $110,000 residential townhomes to be constructed on Reynolds Avenue.
Other building permits were issued for:
* a $30,000 new mini-storage business at 1320 N. Lexington owned by Phillip Perkins;
* a $20,000 business sign addition at 1264 S. Odell owned by Missouri Valley College;
* a $19,755 business addition at 325 N. Grant owned by the City of Marshall Animal Shelter;
* a $6,000 residential garage addition at 369 S. Ellsworth owned by Curtis Brown; and
* a $3,600 business sign addition at 1570 S. Odell owned by Dale Driskell.
In addition, the city issued 11 electrical permits for projects valued at $35,032, five mechanical permits for projects totalling $40,400 and nine plumbing permits for projects with a total value of $35,150.