Marshall man electrocuted

Friday, September 28, 2001

A Marshall man was electrocuted Thursday evening, apparently while attempting to remove a television antenna from a mobile home.

The Marshall Police Department reported receiving numerous 911 calls from the Lakeview Trailer Court at 1201 N. Odell at 5:40 p.m.

Officers and emergency medical personnel found a man later identified as Jeremy Young, 22, on the ground with a metal television antenna about two feet away. Witnesses reported seeing Young removing a television antenna and striking an overhead power line.

Young was transported to Fitzgibbon Hospital, where he was declared dead at 6:28 p.m. An MMU employee was quoted in the police report as saying the power line which the antenna hit carried 8,000 volts of electricity.

MMU General Manager Paul Jensen said residents can learn more about safety around electricity through either a pamphlet available at the utilities' office on East Morgan Street just off the Marshall square or on MMU's Web site at: http://www.mmumo.net.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: