Speak Out: License office

Posted by outsider on Thu, Dec 7, 2017, at 10:47 PM:

I'm trying to figure out this Chamber of Commerce/License office thing. Aren't they supposedly a non-profit organization that is intended to promote business? So instead they outbid private citizens for the license office and pay the help minimum wage. Did whatever person at the Chamber that's in charge of it get a pay raise when they took it on? I don't read the paper daily so maybe it's all been explained already. Just curious. I do all my license business that I can by mail anyway. Same cost, less hassle.

Replies (4)

• A chamber of commerce is pretty pointless in 2017. I perfectly understand what they use to do pre-internet and things. But in 2017, nobody needs the Chamber and they don't really do anything anymore.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 8:37 AM
  • As far as I am concerned, anyone or any entity may enter a bid. If you have an issue, write the state.

Marshall Chamber is also the best alternative the to the previous operators. Previously you enter and it is ran horribly, rude--I know, license office is always rude--but not even polite. The license office shouldn't be treated the same as a small business or wrecker service--its not your place to put a name in front of a state office--even ran by independent contractor. Did the small business owners even realize they're a punch line? Being on late night TV was kind of a joke--and insult to them

All this said, I purposely do all my plate/sticker/license business in Marshall...

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Fri, Dec 8, 2017, at 9:04 AM
  • I wasn't trying to defend the previous group. I had more bad experiences than good there myself. Maybe there were other bidders. I was just curious about an organization that is supposed to support and promote local businesses bidding against someone wanting to have a business.

Regardless of who's running it a person always cringes when it changes hands, but as long as Missouri stays in the dark ages and does it this way we'll just have to live with it.

The friendliest and most professional one in my memory was on the southwest corner of the square and run by Colleen Brown and another gal...Brenda Pannell maybe?? They were good.

-- Posted by outsider on Mon, Dec 11, 2017, at 6:50 PM
  • I agree, it doesn't really matter. Its better and quicker than any other license office.

Odds are--there is no money to be made there. You should question their revenue versus if they should me operating the office.

The revenue "profit" may be going to the chamber for their funds for said 'business promotion'. No different to me that United Way. They do and always will pay their employees, but any remaining funds will be retained into the business to clean it up and spruce up the place (probably rented space) or into the chamber general funds.

Think of the root cause here, not a small detail. Were there no other bids?

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Tue, Dec 12, 2017, at 9:06 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: