Speak Out: Save Marshall!

Posted by tommob on Mon, Nov 20, 2017, at 9:42 AM:

Rumor has it that the city is wanting to build more low income housing on the corner of Watermill Rd and Lincoln if they are able to secure the land. I hear they are wanting to trade MPS that tract of land in order for the school to get ownership of the Spainhower building. Lets hope it is only a rumor. Our town is drowning fast and this is a lot of the reason. We need jobs and working families. This is the reason we cannot get new businesses to come here. They come in and look at our work force or lack of and take their businesses elsewhere. Come on Marshall lets take our town back. I for one would like to get a dang grocery store! When are our city officials going to wake up?!!!!!

Replies (9)

• I don't know about you all--but a micro version of Hyvee would do wonders.

Have any of you seen Walmart neighborhood market?

Its amazing, just the grocery and some minor items like a pharmacy and small house items. No clothes. No trash.

Something along these lines would do great. Doesn't matter the location. But the IGA building and hustlers would do well. Cleans up that side of town. Also--the gas station across the street would be appealing. IE: HYVEE GAS. Hint Hint Marshall city administrator. Do you Fing job and follow this lead. Don't change a thing and you will get all the praise. If this doesn't come as a package deal to a gas/grocery store...I give up on this town. Pathetic. Pay for a business growth study. Let the "old" die and bring in ideas. I didn't grow up in Marshall--but I know the names of the "one prominent" families who supposedly influence the town as a business. Fing Sad.

Remember--grocery store and gas station combo. Hyvee and Hyvee Gas. IGA building. Low Taxes--to none. Let the jobs and the business itself drive the economy and feed into together stores around.

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Mon, Nov 20, 2017, at 11:31 AM
  • Enough with the grocery store bs. If everybody used a grocery store as much as they say they would, the old ones wouldn't have gone broke.

They are to expensive and inconvenient compared to Wal-Mart. Trust me, id love one. But I wouldn't go enough either. Id go for 2 or 3 items that Wal-Mart doesn't carry. Otherwise I'm not spending an extra $20 every time I get groceries.

I like the idea, but execution is just not very viable.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Mon, Nov 20, 2017, at 5:01 PM
  • My concern is not about just getting a grocery store. Its about our town being turned into a welfare town. We have people move here just for that reason. We give "free stuff" and have the most public housing per capita in the state of MO. If this is how you want your town represented than sit back and watch. If this is not what you want, then let your city officials know. And lets hope they pay attention. It makes me very sad to drive around and see the condition of my home town.

-- Posted by tommob on Tue, Nov 21, 2017, at 7:51 AM
  • Did you vote for the new schools Tom?

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, Nov 21, 2017, at 8:11 AM
  • Also, lets make sure its the first thing you see when you come into town. Crap homes with laundry and trash covering the lawns. I agree with Tom.

Also, its not BS. The reason patricia's did so poorly was because you felt dirty when you walked in. The flow of the entrance was crap--and the product on the shelves were often near expiration or off brand. That's why dollar general sold more groceries than pat's

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Tue, Nov 21, 2017, at 8:58 AM
  • Yes, I did vote for new schools.

-- Posted by tommob on Tue, Nov 21, 2017, at 11:05 AM
  • Cool, just making sure Tom because a lot of people will scream they want better and want change but then say the voted down schools. Which if you know any owners of big businesses coming to town schools is a top 3 thing they look at.

What's funny is you said "hope they pay attention". That says it all right there man. I have zero faith that something that has been this way for decades will change just because we hope since it's the same people in charge.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, Nov 21, 2017, at 1:54 PM
  • Marshall needs six more Mcdonalds and more low income housing

-- Posted by nancy007 on Thu, Nov 23, 2017, at 6:47 PM
  • One more McDonalds wouldn't hurt. I'd prefer a Taco John's though. Throw in a Papa John's pizza and a Jimmy John's and I'm a happy man food wise.

I would love a grocery store, but it's a failed business idea in a town like Marshall. Between Aldi's and Walmart they got the grocery market pretty well cornered. Grocery store would only be used for specialty items and almost impossible to run a store in small town based on specialty items.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, Nov 24, 2017, at 10:03 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: