Call Your Missouri Legislator About Real ID

Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, May 9, 2017, at 8:20 AM:

I think it's funny that Dems will completely stand against IDs to vote or IDs to prove your citizenship because it's racist or against poor people for forcing them to buy IDs. Yet we are cool with forcing everyone with a DL to go buy a new one despite the old one being good enough for decades.

Don't get me wrong, I don't really care. If they say I need a new one, than I'll go get a new one. Luckily I don't travel hardly at all so this really won't have any effect on me. But if it's still not going to be valid the next time I fly than I'll figure out what is valid and get that. In terms of traveling headaches that's actually a pretty easy one. And I actually do agree that if they say we need to up our DL game to new standards, than just do it and I'll go get an updated one.

But I just find it funny that Dems love federal government overreach forcing people to spend money they may not have on new IDs, while always bashing federal government overreach forcing people to spend money they may not have on new IDs.

Replies (27)

• To all,

Read the comments for what it is--opinions.

Also, old school--Real ID was passed before the previous Missouri licenses expired, giving Missouri legislators time to pass a format for an ID. This would allow a smooth transition from one ID to "REAL ID" standards. As SD noted, Missouri has some ignorant ideas of being "better"... If they truly had your interests in mind, they would have recognized the warnings from the government--if you don't use this standard for security features, etc. then you may not utilize any federal facilities or any perks

now, these ignorant people who enjoy their Missouri IDs, those receiving federal benefits should not receive them until they have proper Identification. This should help!!!

In my opinion--forcing REAL ID to pass and its enforcement is similar to some school districts. "We want new school busses" Ergo, a levy must be passed. If it doesn't pass--there will be no bus service for the students living outside walking distance. This forces parents/guardians to drive their children to school--you bet your a** as soon as the levy is back on the ballot it passes. If you limit benefits, you get what you want!

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Tue, May 9, 2017, at 9:17 AM
  • I know this isn't a Dem vs Rep issue. Just pointing out forcing people to buy new license for this seems like a great idea to you while forcing people to buy new license to vote you are 100% against. So are those same poor people who can't vote not supposed to travel? Not supposed to be allowed in court houses and things just because they are poor or live to far away to get a new license?

I wasn't saying screw everyone else I don't care. I was saying whatever everyone else wants I'm good with it. If they decide to hold strong then i'll get whatever ID I have to get before I travel again. If they decide to give in and get new license, then i'll go get a new one. Either way i'll have to get a new ID.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, May 9, 2017, at 1:27 PM
  • Old school-- you're still missing it...

Licenses expire normally after ~6 years. That forced you to "Pay" for a crap Missouri License which is obsolete as far as the federal standards are... That means you proved your own point. Why did Missouri make you pay for an ID once or twice--for no reason??

As SD stated, twelve years ago. Say, you had your ID issued in 2005--you've gone through two since it passed. That's ~$25...Money you say everyone, specifically Republicans are strapped for.

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Tue, May 9, 2017, at 4:16 PM
  • At the end of the day--everyone, especially Missouri resident (bias), will have new licenses. Why? Because mostly want to enter federal buildings and fly domestic air. Second, if federal benefits cease until there is verification they are in compliance--I wouldn't mind. Forget all the bull... we live in a sovereign nation first, then a state, county, city/municipality. Its why all you Marshall nice 'folks' fire off explosions July 4... Do you celebrate Missouri? I'll tell you don't... For you ignorant people, that August 10 (1821)

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Wed, May 10, 2017, at 8:33 AM
  • You are correct Above, except for the part of "everyone". Because you know those poor people who can't make it to a license office or afford $25 could not possibly ever be expected to do it. Surprised we even ask for IDs for anything considering how hard it is for those people to get proper identification. It's very offensive & prejudicial against those people.

Sarcasm aside, you are 100% correct on the last post Above. We'll all get new IDs whether it's updated MO drivers license or some other RealID verified source. I'm never in a government building that requires it, but I do enjoy flying every so often & airports are headaches enough.

Your previous point Above you actually missed the point I was making. Point being when voter ID is brought up people like Ricardo freak out over forcing poor or lazy people to get IDs to prove who they are so they can vote. Yet have no problem forcing everyone (including those people) to get off their butts and pay for a new license to get on a plane or walk into a publically funded federal building. I'm simply saying it's funny that those people call foul on one hand and fair on the other hand for literally the exact same thing.

I completely agree they should have just done this stupid ID thing 10 years ago and been done with it. But fact is, they didn't. So can either whine and moan and complain about what didn't happen, or deal with what's happening in front of you. Which is they'll either change the MO ID to fit the rules, or we'll just get a 2nd form of ID that fits. Either way we have to buy new IDs so just tell me which one to get and go on down the road.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Wed, May 10, 2017, at 8:59 AM
  • I perfectly get they screwed up for 12 years. 100% agree they should have said from day 1 either doing it so here is new license on renewed or never doing it so go ahead and look for new. My point is they did it, so that's all done & gone. Complaint about 12 yrs ago doesn't effect what I have to do today. Today everyone will need to buy a new license (or a valid id) to fly or get into a federal building etc.

You seem to have no issue saying today we all have to go buy license, rather than saying y should we have to buy new when old license works fine? Why do poor people not matter with regards to air traffic & federal buildings but they do with voter registration?

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Wed, May 10, 2017, at 12:57 PM
  • Old school--They work fine...for now. What is the point of this thread now? I think we are all agreeing, only making our point differently. Your sentence towards SD doesn't seem correct. The "old" current license will not be accepted soon. There was a variance type approval that let states who are not currently in compliance until a certain date. SD's point is that the date is lurking--with no new licenses in sight...

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Wed, May 10, 2017, at 2:48 PM
  • Agree Above. The state will either have to change the look of the Drivers license so it qualifies and we all go get new license. Or they can be stubborn and not change the license. Which point we'll need to go get passports or something else that would qualify. Should have just changed the DL years ago.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Thu, May 11, 2017, at 9:10 AM
  • I will at least give him credit for admitting it's dumb. Most of the time they pass stuff full of dumb stuff and they play it off like it was the greatest thing since the Louisiana Purchase. It doesn't make it any better, but at least he's admitting it lol.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, May 12, 2017, at 8:05 AM
  • I still like you guys don't understand why we didn't just do this right away. I guess I don't see what the difference is. So they store my documents on a server, every document of my life is stored on some server some where, what's one more? I assumed every state would already happily share information regarding licenses because why wouldn't they?

I put this up there with people who hate DUI check points and things. You only don't like it if you have some reason to hide something. Because otherwise it really is meaningless and doesn't effect your life at all so why would you worry about it.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, May 12, 2017, at 8:11 AM
  • My passport cost me $100. You can obtain a passport card for $45 if you drive to Mexico or Canada but it is not valid for international air travel. On July 13, the passport is $135 and the passport card is $55. The passport card is as valid an ID as RealID. My RealID even confirms that I am a veteran.

-- Posted by desert Rat on Fri, May 12, 2017, at 10:31 AM
  • This is a thread about REAL ID--Missouri or similar state not in compliance. Get on a different thread to discuss off-topics

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Fri, May 12, 2017, at 2:13 PM
  • Looks like they are getting it fixed to were you can go get a new DL. I don't ever plan on flying outside of the US so I could get the cheapy passport if need be though.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, May 12, 2017, at 2:35 PM
  • So because a few random people have issues that means shut down the whole program? If you live that much of a paranoid life than I'd like to know how you ever walk out of your house with all the bad things that could be possible.

Yes nothing is perfect. But to use that as an excuse to not have checkpoints makes literally no sense. Should we get rid of everything that doesn't have a 100% perfect success rate?

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, May 16, 2017, at 8:48 AM
  • Mickey Mouse shouldn't be 'mickey mouse' in Steamboat Willie, he should just be "Steamboat Willie". The name should be changed. Thoughts? I like topic changes. Marshall people, you all MDN followers especially, love change and to yell and scream about it all.

Now, lets discuss this important matter... I like the way things uses to be... Like the good days...When we were all poor. We didn't know we were poor because we all were... right? Is that not the mentality here?

-- Posted by Abovethelaw on Tue, May 16, 2017, at 9:17 AM
  • Google benefits of sobriety checkpoints Ricardo.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, May 16, 2017, at 11:48 AM
  • Keep reading. More than one article on Google.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, May 16, 2017, at 9:36 PM
  • Listen SD, you can dream for a 100% success rate all you want. There is nothing on this earth that is a 100% success rate except death. Doctors mess up surgeries & miss diagnosis. Office workers screw up paper work. Cops get the wrong guy. Jury's let guilty people walk and put innocent people in jail. Pilots crash planes, truck drivers get in wrecks. Why is it you aren't calling for all these people to be fired and arrested immediately? Why don't we shut down those jobs since they don't have a 100% success rate?

You ever think the reason why they don't catch drunk drivers is simply because they have them? I mean it takes a special kind of dumb person to drive drunk when it's been announced they are having a checkpoint that night. Personally I'd stop announcing it, but guess there is some rule they have too. And I'm sorry I don't feel sorry for people who have expired license, drugs in the car or anything else that get in trouble.

Also, it's been to the supreme court, it does not violate your 4th amendment right according to them so that argument is dead in the water.

https://www.thecommunityguide.org/sites/default/files/assets/MVOI-AID-Sobriety-C...

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Wed, May 17, 2017, at 8:23 AM
  • I know I've specifically not drank at a restaurant because I knew there was a checkpoint that night. I doubt I'm the only one with that opinion. Thus it is doing the job of preventing drunk driving at the same time catching those who are stupid and ignore the warning.

I don't kill people or rob anyone for the same reasons. Fear of punishment. It's part of crime prevention. If you don't fear the punishment the likely hood of crime would increase. Some people don't do things because they don't want to or their moral compass doesn't allow it. Others don't do it solely because of fear of punishment.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Sun, May 28, 2017, at 9:06 AM
  • No because they would be telling me to commit suicide which I won't do. That actually doesn't even make sense SD. If you are going to use that analogy at least put it in a realistic situation that makes it questionable.

Please explain Ricardo how you are living your life differently from me? Do you obey laws whether agree with them or not? Do you pay taxes, whether agree or not? Do you vote in elections no matter who wins? Do you follow legislations no matter which side passes it?

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Mon, May 29, 2017, at 12:35 PM
  • Only reason no, big reason yes. That's the whole reason to have punishment, to deter people from committing crimes. Without punishment the only thing stopping people from doing bad things is each persons own moral code. We all know not everyone has the exact same moral code.

So again make it realistic Ricardo. There will never be law that says you must kill yourself. If you guys come up with something realistic I'd be happy to comment.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Mon, May 29, 2017, at 6:51 PM
  • Morality & ethics are subjective SD. If they weren't illegal, they wouldn't be heinous crimes by definition for example.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Wed, May 31, 2017, at 8:15 AM
  • Than I'd follow the law. Going to jail, being away from my family and will to live trumps my personal moral code.

Do people not have different ethics & moral standards?

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Thu, Jun 1, 2017, at 9:16 AM
  • Hahaha

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Thu, Jun 1, 2017, at 2:17 PM
  • So now I have to kill my whole family? You do see how bad it looks for you that you have to go to the most extreme possible to even hope of proving whatever point it is you are willing to do right?

Plus in you're crazy scenarios, you are yet to list what the punishment would be. Which since punishment is what we are talking about seems odd you keep leaving that part out.

I mean if the punishment for speeding was 2 years in jail, then I'd never speed. If jay walking was 1 year in prison, I'd wear cross walks out. If stealing was only a $50 ticket, well I'd say it would be worth the risk to try to walk out with $200 phone without paying.

So you want to stick to the insane impossibility cause it's the only way to prove your point, that's fine I'll do it. But what are the parameters? Do I have to do away with my family or someone else? Is it simply they go away, or are they being killed? What is the punishment if they aren't done away with? That's not being picky either, especially the punishment part seeing as how punishment is how this whole topic started anyway.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, Jun 2, 2017, at 8:27 AM
  • I don't get turned on by forcing woman, so no not into rape legal or not. Murder is more iffy probably. If punishment was $50 fine then I wouldn't have the same hesitation I do now. I'm sure there would be plenty of people who would go on a rampage if murder was only a $50 fine.

And yeah pretty much punishment is the only reason I never steal.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Fri, Jun 2, 2017, at 9:22 PM
  • Problem with the ID solved. If you want an ID good enough for flying you can now go get one starting at the end of August.

-- Posted by oldschool17 on Tue, Jun 13, 2017, at 8:22 AM

Respond to this thread

Posting a comment requires free registration: