Automatic budget cuts began March 1st -- as you know, this is known as sequestration.
These deep and non-strategic cuts will cause severe hemorrhaging in Missouri's Fifth District, and must be addressed responsibly and in a bipartisan manner.
Immediately isn't soon enough. Congress has been kicking this can down the road for too long -- and the road has now come to a dead end.
Missouri's economy is already frail, and these drastic and dangerous cuts will hurt children, seniors, small businesses, federal employees, and men and women who so proudly and selflessly wear a uniform to protect our country.
All of the bickering, political posturing and fact free debate must end. People of Missouri's Fifth District depend on -- and certainly deserve -- better from those of us in Washington.
I have, and will continue, to call on all of my colleagues to do what is right for our nation's economy, and for our hardworking families. A new report from the White House reveals some startling statistics of the potential impact to our local communities if these arbitrary cuts are allowed to take place.
* $11.9 Million lost in Missouri for primary and secondary education
* Approximately 160 teacher and teacher's aide jobs at risk
* Almost 17,000 fewer students served
* Approximately $10.8 Million lost in services and staff for children with disabilities.
College aid and work-study jobs:
* Approximately 1,280 fewer low income students will receive aid
* Around 750 fewer students getting work-study jobs to assist in paying for college.
* Around 8,000 civilian Department of Defense civilian employees furloughed
* A reduction in gross pay by around $40.3 Million
Nutrition for seniors:
* Missouri will lose approximately $419,000 to help provide meals for seniors.
And millions of additional dollars for law enforcement, public safety, public health initiatives, and the list goes on and on.
This is absurd.
We absolutely need to cut spending, but we must do it responsibly. We can go a long way in accomplishing this by ending tax breaks for the largest oil and gas companies, and making sure millionaires pay their fair share.
This is a time in our country when Republicans and Democrats must come together and work together -- responsibly and with the goal of serving all Americans.