Monday’s total solar eclipse begins with a partial eclipse, when the moon’s edge first “contacts” the sun at approximately 11:43:57 a.m. It will be totally eclipsed at approximately 1:10 p.m. for nearly 2 1/2 minutes, and then move back into a partial eclipse until roughly 2:40 p.m. as the moon continues to shift past the sun. Remember to wear viewing glasses if you want to view the partial eclipse, and take them off to view the 2 1/2 minutes of totality. You can also create a pinhole camera for the partial eclipse, and -- with the naked eye -- view shapes the partial eclipse makes on the ground through shade trees and lawn chairs.
- Phillip E. Kaiser (8/18/17)
- Woman injured in Route EE crash (8/18/17)
- Slater Fire Department battles basement blaze (8/18/17)
- Missouri State Fair Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion Market Steer announced (8/18/17)
- Marshall Fire Department to collect for annual MDA Boot Drive (8/18/17)
- Saline County Fair Association to host all-you-can-eat breakfast (8/18/17)
- University of Missouri announces its spring semester graduates (8/18/17)
- School Menus Aug. 21-Aug. 25 (8/18/17)
- Board of Public Works discusses power usage (8/17/17)
- Drug charges filed against 2 Kentucky residents (8/17/17)
- Woman stuck in swimming pool turns to Facebook for help
- Golden retriever digs up heroin in Oregon backyard
- Men say they've set record for traversing Boston's subway
- Driver forced to gun engine and jump rising drawbridge
- Big catch! Drunken woman allegedly bites fisherman's line
- NY courts spokesman fired after saying he 'barely' worked
Charlotte K. Hawkins (8/18/17)Charlotte K. Hawkins, 78, of Marshall, died Monday, Aug. 14, 2017, at The Living Center in Marshall. Funeral services were held Friday, Aug. 18, 2017, at 11 a.m. at Weiker Funeral Home in Slater,...
Benjamin D. ‘Ben’ Miller (8/18/17)Benjamin D. “Ben” Miller, 34, of Marshall, died Tuesday, Aug. 15, 2017, at his home. A Celebration of Life service will be held at 3 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 22, 2017, at Martin Community Center in...
Michael J. ‘Mike’ Tobin (8/18/17)Michael J. “Mike” Tobin, 73, of Marshall, died Wednesday, Aug. 16, 2017, at Hartland Residential Care Center in Marshall. Mass of Christian Burial will be held at 10:30 a.m. Thursday, Aug. 24, 2017,...
Marjorie R. Fletcher (8/18/17)Marjorie R. Fletcher, 84, of Marshall, died Monday, Aug. 14, 2017, at Fitzgibbon Hospital in Marshall. Funeral services will be held at 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 18, 2017, at First Christian Church in...
The Marshall Democrat-News invites readers to share their views and questions on any issue. Open discussions are often useful and enlightening. Criticism is acceptable as an important part of public conversations, but we expect everyone to treat others with respect. Experience suggests it is best not to post comments while angry. We reserve the right to delete comments that we think include personal attacks, are disrespectful, threatening, obscene or in other ways objectionable. Anyone who repeatedly violates this policy will be banned from participating in our forums.
- Prep Football Scoreboard (8/19/17)
- Lady Owls' focus on getting youth up to speed (8/18/17)
- Questions abound in Chiefs-'Cats clash (8/16/17)
- Owls seek to replace record-setting offense (8/16/17)
- More good than bad in Owls' jamboree (8/14/17)
- Lady Owls poised for breakout campaign (8/11/17)
- Young Lady Owls return to links (8/9/17)